Tuesday 7 June 2011

The Ruby Slippers: First Look

This Saturday Helen Burke will become the seventh author to be published by Valley Press, when her collection of poetry The Ruby Slippers is launched in London.  As ever, I feel compelled to say a few words on how this book came about... before I do though, if you're in the capital on Saturday, let me take this opportunity to confirm the time and place of the launch:

Time: 7.30pm
Date: Saturday 11th June 2011
Location: The Poetry Cafe, London, WC2H 9BX (see map)

As usual, I'm wildly excited about the prospect of a good launch, perhaps even more so this time due to it being held in (unarguably - sorry Northerners) the centrepoint of British poetry.  I think there's an established understanding that Northern writing and publishing is all very well, charmingly provincial and all that, but you don't really make it till you arrive Down South, in the capital... the big smoke.  Not true, of course, but I'm happy to go along with it on this occasion.

As well as a reading from Helen (a renowned live performer, and the recipient of various awards for it), and the usual launch hob-nobbing, there will be music from Julian Willmore, who I recently learned neither me or Helen have met before.  However, I think I've found him here - I like it!

Helen herself is a true unique, so it's only fitting that her Valley Press book should have come about in a unique way.  In fact, I was a fan of Helen's writing before we'd ever met, or indeed I had any idea who she was; a friend of mine had left a copy of her first pamphlet (published in 1997, and simply titled 'Poetry') lying around when I was visiting.  While the friend made me a cup of tea, I was attracted by the distinctive red-and-black cover, and had a quick read - the fact I still remember this today (it was some years back) shows what a strong impression it left.  I remember distinctly thinking: 'this woman is the real deal.'  So you can imagine, it is something of an honour to be publishing a book that includes some of the very poems that impressed me so much back then.

I next heard of Helen when some of her poems appeared in Patterns of Hope, the now-classic charity anthology which was one of the first books to bear the Valley Press name (I wasn't involved in the editing that time, so they came as a nice surprise when I got my hands on one of the books).  That was 2009, and in March 2010 I finally encountered Helen - and got myself a signed copy of her fourth pamphlet - when she read at the library in Scarborough.  So far, so normal... the classic writer/fan relationship.

Things moved up a gear in January, however, when - days after I had decided to try publishing full-time - I received an email from Helen wondering if I could fix her up with a gig at the Scarborough Literature Festival (she is a great 'asker'; living proof that if you want your CV to say 'performed at many festivals and theatres' all you have to do is send emails... that, and give a decent performance, I suppose.)  My reply was along the lines of 'no, but how are you fixed for a publisher at the moment?'  200 emails later, and here we are, just days away from you ('the great unwashed') being able to get your hands on a copy of the book.  Having seen it myself, I can confirm it is absolutely spellbinding - poetry of the very highest calibre, and does what I most wanted it to do; communicate the refined essence of Helen's writing in a single, indispensable volume.  But then I would say that, wouldn't I.

I'll finish by reposting the leaflet for the launch, which I have been passing around lately.  Send it to your friends, why don't you - I hope to see you, and them, on Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. Love that cover, Jamie. If the contents are anything like it, Helen should be good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan! I should have mentioned in the post actually, the cover is 90% Helen... all I did was line everything up. She gave me a series of drawings including the slippers, a yellow brick road, the title ect. and I chose these slippers which (although slightly wonky) do have a particular charm.

    There's also a brilliant painting of Helen's on the back cover, and plenty of black-and-white illustrations inside the book. Multi-talented!

    ReplyDelete